Registered Motor Vehicles

Registered Motor Vehicles


Tax and Tag Together requires property taxes and registration fees for tagged vehicles be paid in one transaction.  This does not include, IRP, multi-year, or permanent plated tags.  See Personal Property for information on these.

Taxes for Registered Motor Vehicles are paid to the NC DMV License Plate Agencies and be paid in person, by USPS, or online.  

Click here to view the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles online Portal to manage details about your driver's license, registration, and to view vehicle tax receipts,

Click  to here for the DMV's website to pay online.



Who Should I Contact

DMV 919-814-1779

Beaufort County Assessor’s Office 252-946-7981

Address Change

Checkmark with solid fill


Taxed to Incorrect County

Checkmark with solid fill


Taxed in Beaufort County but to the wrong jurisdiction


Value Appeals




Registration/Renewal Inquiries

Checkmark with solid fill




Registered Motor Vehicles are valued at their true value in money.  Our office uses pricing guides such as NADA, Old Cars Price Guide, and TEC Data Systems valuation manuals to value vehicles as of January 1 in the year the registration is taxed for.  

Vehicle valuations may be appealed to the Beaufort County Assessor’s Office by filing a request for appeal within 30 days of the date taxes are due on the vehicle.

Beaufort County Property Tax Appeal Form



A proration of paid property taxes for registered motor vehicles that are no longer owned may be requested within one year from the date the North Carolina tag is turned in.   A copy of the bill of sale or other proof the vehicle is no longer owned as well as a copy of the NC tag surrender receipt (FS20) is required before the proration for refund can be entered.  



North Carolina General Statutes allow for certain types of property to receive exclusions or exemptions from property taxes for reasons such as Charitable, Religious, Educational, and Government.   

Active-Duty Military must submit a copy of their Leave and Earning Statement (LES).   and Veterans whose vehicle has been given to them by the United States Government or that is altered with special equipment to accommodate a service-connected disability must provide documentation from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

For a copy of the motor vehicle exemption application  click here

  1. Registered Motor Vehicles

    Physical Address
    220 N. Market St.
    Washington, NC 27889

    Mailing Address
    PO Box 160
    Washington, NC 27889